A private surgery facility owned by members of the community. The facility performs consultations and a variety of ambulatory surgery which is paid for by the patient or a 3rd party provider.
- Insurance providers: HBT, ICBC, Global Total Care, Great West Life, and others
- Employers or Employer's Benefits Plans that cover surgery
- WorkSafe BC
- Cosmetic surgery
- Orthopedic surgery
- Cataract surgery
- General surgery (hernia repairs and laser treatment of varicose veins)
- Any other ambulatory surgery in demand, which a surgeon is privileged to perform. We can assist surgeons with privileging at PG Surgery Centre.
- Fax the patient information via referral to 250-563-4028
- If you prefer, you may download a Referral Form from our website home page www.pgsugerycentre.com
- If you are a Surgeon please contact us if you have surgical procedures you think can be managed privately.
- If you are a Family Physician with tips on how we can provide better information or access to consultation and surgery, please let us know!
- If you are a potential patient, please refer to our website or call us to assist you in answering your questions on surgery.
- Call 250-563-4077 to speak with our Office Manager or Dr. Josie Schmid, Managing Director.
Prince George Surgery Centre is open Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 5:00pm other than on Statutory Holidays.
Healthy adults as well as those with controlled medical conditions are eligible for surgery at Prince George Surgery Centre.
We work with a number of companies that provide financing for medical procedures. For more information please go to the Medical Coverage page on our website.
If you want to learn more about the surgical procedures available and wish to book a consultation please contact us and our professional staff will be happy to assist you.
The time required for a consultation can vary depending on the type of procedure you are considering. On average a consultation will take between 30 minutes and 1 hour.
Once pre-operative paperwork is complete our staff will schedule your surgery. Surgery can often be scheduled between 1 and 2 weeks after your consultation depending on the availability of your surgeon.
Please discuss your intentions with your Surgeon or General Practitioner. Your Surgeon will be able to provide you with literature about the procedure you are considering, or recommend a reliable website.
Yes you do. As long as your preferred Surgeon has been granted privileges at the centre and is registered with the College of Physicians and Surgeons or British Columbia, he or she will be able to perform the required procedure.
This varies from Surgeon to Surgeon. To learn more about our team of Surgeons and Practitioners please visit our section on Surgeons.
The type of anesthesia that is used will depend on you and on the type of surgery that you are having. Some procedures can be done under a local or regional anesthetic while others require a general anesthetic. A consultation with your Anesthesiologist will help to decide on the type of anesthetic that will be safest for you.
Regardless of the type of anesthetic used, oxygen saturation, blood pressure and ECG are routinely monitored.
This depends on the type of procedure and any pre-existing medical conditions. The Anesthesiologist and Surgeon will advise you during your consultation.
Pre-surgery instructions will vary depending on the nature of your procedure. Once your surgery has been scheduled you will be given comprehensive instructions.
Similar to pre-surgery, restrictions will vary depending on the procedure. Comprehensive instructions will be provided once your surgery has been scheduled.
No, you will be required to have an escort for your safety and someone to stay with you for the first night after surgery. If you do not have one, the centre will be pleased to find an escort for you.
There are many hotels in our area where out-of-town patients and their families can stay. While the Tourism Prince George Website contains a comprehensive list of accomodation providers, many of our patients stay at the Ramada Hotel, the Coast Inn of the North, or the Days Inn which is the most economical choice. All three offer a special rate for patients attending Prince George for medical reasons. These hotels are located downtown, a short distance from the Prince George Surgery Centre. Parking is offered free of charge here at the Prince George Surgery Centre.
Your surgeon will see you at the Prince George Surgery Centre for a follow-up appointment. Please call us after your surgery and we will book you in.
You will be provided with a complete list of instructions prior to your release from the Centre. This information is provided by your Surgeon and includes instruction with regard to medical emergencies.